We will have a Lego display at Phoenix Comicon 2013 (May 23 – May 26). We are in the Exhibitor hall next to the 501st Stormtrooper area. Please come by to see our display. We will also host a Panel on Saturday from 10:30AM to 11:30AM.
Our May 2013 Meeting is on May 18th at North Tempe Multi-Generational Center (1:30PM – 4:30PM).
We had 15 people attend our April 2013 Meeting. Our main topic for the meeting was to help plan our PHX Comicon layout and display.
Here’s some pictures of what people brought in:
Our Tempe History Museum Show (March 16 and 17, 2013) has been great. The flyers that we created helped attract quite a few people. The museum estimated that 150 people came out because of us. They had a live band on Saturday that also attracted a few hundred people. So, we had quite a few people coming through during the two days. Here’s the pictures from it:
Rules for the March 2013 CactusBrick contest – Lego Arizona theme
1) Must be a new MOC (one that has not been shown before)
2) Must be something that screams ARIZONA (or at least well know)
3) It can be a building (any scale), a map (ok, that’s been done), a diorama, or
anything that Arizona is well know for. (please only politically correct items)
4) The MOC must be present at the Tempe History Museum show (Mar 16 & 17, 2013)
5) There is no limit on how many MOCs each person can submit
6) The submitter of the MOCs need not be present
1) There will be 2 different votes with half of the prize going to each.
2) There will be a vote by Cactusbrick enthusiasts (all of us)
3) There will be a second vote by the public.
4) Each eligible voter has 1 vote
5) Cactusbrick enthusiasts (us) can not vote in the public vote.
6) The Cactusbrick vote will happen on Saturday afternoon and the winner will be
marked as “Club Favorite” unless someone else comes up with a better term.
7) The public vote will be collected all Saturday and early Sunday with the
final count happening at 3PM Sunday.
1) The cash prize for each of the 1st place winners will be at least $15.
2) The same MOC is eligible to win in both votes.
3) In the event of a tie, the money is split between the winners
4) Existing MOCs that have been shown are not eligible
We had 2 MOCs entered into the contest.
The winner is Joe’s A Mountain.
Next month we will have a show at the Tempe History Museum (809 E. Southern Ave., Tempe AZ) on the weekend of March 16th and 17th. The hours are Saturday (10AM – 6PM) and Sunday (1PM to 5PM). This is the same weekend as our normal meetings, so our meeting will be at the Tempe History Museum for March.
Here’s the flyer for the show:
We had 19 people at our February 16th, 2013 meeting.
We discussed the upcoming Tempe History Museum show which is now on March 16th (Sat 10AM – 6PM) & March 17th (Sun 1PM – 5PM). This is the same weekend as our meeting so our next month’s meeting will be at the Tempe History Museum.
We agreed to also do a display at Scottsdale’s “Little Red Schoolhouse” for September (and probably beyond). This is in Scottsdale’s old town area.
We also were planning out the comicon layout. Nate will send out layout ideas later.
And, we had the minifig scale (modified CC standard) contest. (see below)
Here’s the contest entries:
And the winner is Dave Shaddix’s gas station:
Rules for the Feb 2013 CactusBrick contest – A Minifig Scale City Layout Module
- Must be a new MOC (one that has not been shown before)
- Must conform to the CactusBrick Modular Building Standard:
- The MOC must be present at the judging meeting (Feb 16, 2013)
- The MOC must be a minimum size of 32×32 but can be larger in multiples of 32
- Each person may submit up to 2 MOCs
- The submitter of the MOCs need not be present
- The cash price for 1st place will be $3 per participant with a minimum of $20.
(If 8 people contribute buildings to the contest, the 1st place prize will be $24)
- The MOC does not have to be a building, but it must connect with our standard modules. (A park would be fine as long as it follows the standards on the sides of the module.)
- Only people able to view all of MOCs are able to vote
- Each eligible voter has 1 vote
- In the event of a tie, the money is split between the winners
The CactusBrick minifig city layout standard is basically the Cafe Corner standard with 3 changes.
- The sidewalk is raised by 1 brick. So, the bottom is a baseplate with a brick on top of that and then tile on top to make the sidewalk.
- There are technic bricks in the front (under the sidewalk) at the 10th and 11th studs from each side. At minimum, this needs to be a “Technic, Brick 1 x 2 with Hole”, but it can be longer as long as the center hole exists.
- The sidewalk is 2 or 3 studs less deep. The road baseplate in front includes either 2 studs or 3 studs wide sidewalk. The edge is Dark Bluish Gray so the module should plan on being next to Dark Bluish Gray tile.
Based on the Cafe Corner standard, the sides (and the back) should also have the Technic Brick with Hole at the 10th and 11th stud location from both edges. The height of each floor of the building is recommended to be 9 or 10 bricks tall but the standard is flexible.
The standard size of each module is 32×32. A 16×32 (where the 16 is the width of the front) is possible, but there are not very many of these in the club so it would be wise to have 2 if you want 16×32 modules.
We had a record attendance of 21 people at our January 19th, 2013 meeting. Our club officers for 2013 are once again:
We discussed the upcoming shows at Tempe History Museum (March 16th & 17th) and the Phx Comicon (Memorial day weekend).
We also had the micro city contest. Here’s some pictures from that as well as some pictures of other things people brought in:
The micro contest had a clear winner in the large module category and a tie in the small category. The winner in the large module category was made by Joe. The small module winners were GenYus and Clark. Here’s the winners: